If your office accepts emblemhealth members and provides COVID-19 testing services, then this blog post is for you!
There are 3 main types of tests for COVD-19 (SARS-CoV-2) virus- diagnostic (viral), antigent test and serologic test (antibody.
A diagnostic (molecular and antigen tests tells if you likely have a current infection, by looking for parts of the virus itself in samples taken from an individual’s respiratory system secretion (eg. nasal swab).
A serologic, or anitybody test tells you if you have had a previous infection of COVID-19 by looking at the antibody responses in the blood sample. (In general a serologic test cannot be used for a diagnostic purposes. Antibodies can be detected in individuals that had a distant infection of the virus)
The following policy applies to Commercial, Medicare and Medicaid lines of business: via EmblemHealth Policy#: RPC20210016
Per the CDC, “Cliniciansshould use their judgment to determine if a patient hassigns orsymptoms compatible with COVID-19 and whether the patient should be tested. Most patients with confirmed COVID-19 have developed fever and/or symptoms of acute respiratory illness (e.g., cough) but some infected patients may present with other symptoms as well.”
▪ Symptomatic individual suspected of having COVID-19.
▪ Testing of asymptomatic patients used as part of a pre-surgical or facility pre-admission screening,
prior to an immunosuppressive procedure, or when a patient is admitted to a Skilled Nursing
Facility in accordance with CMS and CDC testing guidelines.
▪ Known or suspected prolonged, close contact, with an individual with a laboratory confirmed case
of COVID-19 as defined by CDC guidelines.
▪ Coronavirus COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) respiratory panel (up to 5 respiratory pathogens) test when
member has signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
SARS-CoV-2 Serology Testing
Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV2) serology (antibody) testing may beconsidered a covered service when the following criteria are met:
▪ An individual seeks and receives a COVID-19 diagnostic test from a licensed or authorized health care provider, OR
• A licensed or authorized health care provider refers an individual for a COVID-19
diagnostic test. AND
▪ FDA approved or cleared or Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) AND
▪ Performed by a CLIA-accredited high or medium-complexity laboratory (per test Instructions for Use) AND
One of the following three conditions is present:
▪ Results of a molecular or antigen test is non diagnostic for COVID-19 and the results of the test will be used to aid in the diagnosis of a condition related to COVID-19 infection (e.g., Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome [MIS]). OR
▪ Used as a method to support the clinical assessment of acute COVID-19 illness for persons who are being tested 3–4 weeks after illness onset, in addition to recommended direct detection methods such as polymerase chain reaction (PCR). OR
▪ Used as a method to help establish a clinical picture when patients have late complications of COVID-19 illness, such as multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children.
Effective 6/1/2022 – EmblemHealth and ConnectiCare will amend the billing
instructions to align with CMS’ instructions on how to bill for COVID-19 test related
services. The plan will require the use of modifier CS when identifying services that
are related to the need determination for a COVID-19 test.
Partial List of CPT/HCPCS codes:
*NY Medicaid covered codes may differ and follow NYS guidelines
U0001* CDC 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel
U0002(QW) 2019-nCoV Coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2/2019-nCoV (COVID-19), any technique, multiple types or subtypes(includes all targets), non-CDC
U0003 Infectious agent detection by nucleic acid (DNA or RNA); severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) amplified probe technique, making use of high throughput technologies as described by CMS-2020-01-R
U0004 2019-nCoV Coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2/2019-nCoV (COVID-19), any technique, multiple types or subtypes (includes all targets), non-CDC, making use of high throughput technologies as described by CMS-2020-01-R
U0005- Infectious agent detection by nucleic acid (DNA or RNA); severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) (Coronavirus disease [COVID-19]), amplified probe technique, CDC or non-CDC, making use of high throughput technologies, completed within 2 calendar days from date and time of specimen collection.(List separately in addition to either HCPCS code U0003 or
0224U -Antibody, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARSCoV-2) (Coronavirus disease [COVID19]),includes titer(s), when performed
0240U- Infectious disease (viral respiratory tract infection), pathogen-specific RNA, 3 targets (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 [SARS-CoV-2], influenza A, influenza B), upper respiratory specimen, each pathogen reported as detected or not detected (Xpert® Xpress SARSCoV-2/Flu/RSV (SARS-CoV-2 & Flu Targets only), Cepheid)
0241U-Infectious disease (viral respiratory tract infection), pathogen-specific RNA, 4 targets (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 [SARS-CoV-2], influenza A, influenza B, respiratory syncytial virus [RSV]), upper respiratory specimen, each pathogen reported as detected or not detected (Xpert® Xpress SARSCoV-2/Flu/RSV(all targets), Cepheid)
86328- Immunoassay for infectious agent antibody(ies), qualitative or semiquantitative, single step method (eg, reagent strip); severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) (Coronavirus disease [COVID-19])
For a complete list of codes, please click here for the complete reimbursement policy.
Find this type of information useful? Follow my blog for more medical billing and coding guideline updates, reimbursement/medical policy updates, etc.
Recent Blog Posts:
- MVP Health Plans: reimbursement of sick E&M codes billed w/preventative codes -05/01/23
- Michigan Medicaid: reimburses for Doula Services-01/01/23
- UHC NY Community Plan Referral requirement change-effective immediately
- UHC Oxford- updated Prior Auth changes 01/01/2023
- UHC Exchange Plans: diabetes medications coverage.