In this blog post we will explore the Comprehensive Diabetes Care HEDIS measure. .
What is New for 2020?
New measure Kidney Health Evaluation for Patient with Diabetes measure was added in 2020. This is a new measure. It evaluates the percent of members that are between 18 and 85 years of age that have diabetes and who received a kidney health evaluation, including estimated glomerular filtration gate test (eGFR) and a urine albumin-creating ration.
What is Comprehensive Diabetes Care Measure?
Measure that evaluates percentage of adult members between ages of 18 and 75 years of age (looks at both type 1 and type 2 diabetes) and who had each of the following:
- HbA1c testing
- HbA1c poor control (>9%)
- HbA1c control of (<8%)
- Retinal Eye Exam performed
- Blood Pressure Control (<140/90 mm/Hg)\
Record your efforts: document results of, all of the above mentioned test, in the patient’s medical record.
How to meet this measure?
- Provide reminders to patients for upcoming appointments and screenings.
- Draw labs in your office if available or refer patients to a local lab for screenings.
- Refer patients to participating eye professionals for annual retinal eye exams.
- Follow up on lab test, eye exams and specialist referrals and document in your chart.
- Telephone visits, e-visits and virtual check-ins are acceptable settings for blood pressure readings and should be recorded in the chart.
- Include Category II reporting codes on claims to reduce the burden of HEDIS medical record review.
- Educate patients on topics (for example, home monitoring of blood sugar and blood pressure, taking medications as prescribed, and other healthy lifestyle education like diet, exercise, and smoking cessation).
Like this type of content? Follow my blog for more free HEDIS, medical billing and coding guideline changes, medical/reimbursement policy changes.
Recent Blog Posts:
- MVP Health Plans: reimbursement of sick E&M codes billed w/preventative codes -05/01/23
- Michigan Medicaid: reimburses for Doula Services-01/01/23
- UHC NY Community Plan Referral requirement change-effective immediately
- UHC Oxford- updated Prior Auth changes 01/01/2023
- UHC Exchange Plans: diabetes medications coverage.