Below are listed the requirements for the Peer Support Specialists, as per Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) and Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) guidelines.
Lived Experience – has lived experience with a behavioral health (BH) diagnosis (can
include a diagnosis with mental health challenges, addiction challenges, or co-occurring
• Education – has a minimum of a High School diploma or a GED.
• Age – is at least eighteen (18) years of age.
• Time in Recovery – has at least twelve (12) months of continuous, demonstrated
recovery as indicated by SAMHSA’s working definition of recovery.
• Training – has completed all required training.
• Credentials – is credentialed in the state of Louisiana.
Peer Support Specialists must provide ABHLA with their education (diploma or transcripts) and
registered NPI for billing.
In order to receive payment remember to bill age and education modifiers in accordance to
the Louisiana Medicaid Specialized Behavioral Health Fee Schedule.
Questions and Support:
For questions, please contact LAProvider@AETNA.com or call 1-855-242-0802 and follow the