Previously, UHC would not reimburse for COVID-19 testing when done outside of a skilled inpatient stay at a SNF.
However, during the PHE, starting Jan 27,2020 and then renewed on April 21,2021, subject to further extension, UHC is going to pay for the COVID-19 testing that is done outside of the skilled inpatient stay at a SNF.
This change applies to the following Medicare Advantage Plans:
- Medicare Advantage Plans
- Dual Eligible Special Needs Plans (DSNP)
- Chronic Special Needs Plans (CSNP)
- UnitedHealthcare Assisted Living Plans (IE-SNP)
- FIDE/MMP Plans
Plans that this change DOES NOT APPLY TO:
- UnitedHealthcare Nursing Home Plans (ISNP)
- UnitedHealthcare commercial plans
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plans (Medicaid Only Plans)
UHC will re-process the claims, there is no further action needed.
UHC will reprocess claims previously paid at $0 to be reimbursed at 100% of the Medicare fee schedule. No action is required from affected SNFs for these adjustments.
The following codes are going be reimbursed at 100% of Medicare Fee Schedule:
COVID-19 testing performed during an approved skilled stay are subject to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) consolidated billing rules and are not separately reimbursable, except for the UnitedHealthcare Nursing Home Plan (ISNP). New applicable CMS covered COVID-19 testing codes may be added periodically. We may add or remove codes from the following list, in accordance with CMS coverage guidelines.
Find this information helpful? Then subscribe to my blog, via my home page! Check out my on demand webinars, coming soon! As well as members only subscription: where we will dive into the updated/current reimbursement policies for various insurance carriers.
In a meantime, check out my latest posts below:
- MVP (NY/VT)- Reimbursement sick visit and Preventative Care on the same day.
- MVP Health Plans: reimbursement of sick E&M codes billed w/preventative codes -05/01/23
- Michigan Medicaid: reimburses for Doula Services-01/01/23
- UHC NY Community Plan Referral requirement change-effective immediately
- UHC Oxford- updated Prior Auth changes 01/01/2023