Recently, Cigna began to implement clinical quality Initials that align with NCQA Medical Assistance and Smoking and Tobacco Use Cessation Quality Measure.
As per ACA, smoking cessation is a covered service. Cigna is encouraging the providers to identify, screen and treat for tobacco dependence.
After the Provider will identify the patient, Cigna will reach out to the patient, and encourage them to quit smoking and seek support from their provider.
Which codes to use?
As per Cigna Preventative Care Services Policy: (A004)– these codes can be used with any DX code.
Note: although, Cigna states that these services are covered free of charge to the patient, if the provider performs these services on the same DOS with Preventative EM code then some of these tobacco cessation treatment services could be subject to additional out of pocket costs for your patients. To avoid this, providers are allowed to bill the smoking cessation codes on a separate encounter as preventative services (EM codes).
Find this type of content helpful? Follow my blog for more useful reimbursement/medical policies, medical coding and medical billing guideline updates and any other healthcare related news.
Recent Blog Posts:
- MVP (NY/VT)- Reimbursement sick visit and Preventative Care on the same day.
- MVP Health Plans: reimbursement of sick E&M codes billed w/preventative codes -05/01/23
- Michigan Medicaid: reimburses for Doula Services-01/01/23
- UHC NY Community Plan Referral requirement change-effective immediately
- UHC Oxford- updated Prior Auth changes 01/01/2023